24.11.08

The Afghan Whigs with Marcy Mays

I saw the Afghan Whigs a couple of times in Columbus. Once, at the Newport, they opened their tour in Columbus.

Local heroes and the latest Central Ohio band to sign to a major label only to flop, Howling Maggie started things off. They came out in rather dramatic fashion, wearing cloaks and overusing the smoke machine. It was OK.

The Whigs, on the other hand, were great. They ripped through a set of everything from their Sub Pop days to the current release at the time, Black Love. The highlight was when Marcy Mays of Scrawl fame joined the band for a gut-wrenching performance of "My Curse."

1 comment:

ks said...

I heart Marcy Mays.

I can't tell you how many times I've sung along to a Scrawl CD. They were awesome...not to mention part of my beloved Simple Machines Records family.