13.10.07

Career Advice from Bob Pollard

The first time I ever saw Guided by Voices was on the second stage at Lollapalooza in 1994. They were supporting Bee Thousand which should be on every one's top-ten of all-time, no excuses.

After GBV put on an electric set in the hot, summer sun, Bob ended up hanging out at the second stage's merch booth. The drunkard of an indie rock genius struck up a conversation with my brother. Nate told Bob that he was heading to Wright State (Bob's alma mater) in the fall to major in elementary education (again, Bob's major). Pollard proceeded to tell my brother what a great profession teaching was. Of course, just as Bob had, Nate eventually gave up this dream and now plays in bands in Dayton.

I didn't get to meet Bob Pollard. Instead, I met Adam Duritz of Counting Crows just before he leaped into the mosh pit for the Flaming Lips set on the second stage.

No comments: